venerdì 11 giugno 2010

Kiruna,Sweden ....above the Artic Circle


The places on Earth are extremely fascinating with so many different ways to explore the beauty of it. Kiruna is more than 100km above the Artic Circle and around 1200 km from Stockholm and it is absolutely offer you a different way of seeing how you should take a look at your life. We were there recently and we experienced what I called 'real geographical moments' and now I really understand what I learned in geography textbooks.

Since we were there early June, the 'midnight sun' is our highlight of the visit. As the name suggests, the sun never sets! We had the sun and the sunlight in 24 hours! Gosh.....I really had a hard time to sleep at night (or at least what appeared on my watch).

The temperature was around 5 to 8 degrees Celcius and we had good weather throughout our stay.We drove to the Abisko National Park which is located around 100km north west of Kiruna. The vegetation and the landscape is totally make you wonder the force of every living element on Earth to survive in a harsh condition when the temperature can simply go down to more than -40 degrees Celcius in the long winter months.

I have never seen what I called "pussy willow' trees covered almost every inch of the ground....they are everywhere! The warm season is yet to come there but I could see the vegetation is changing rapidly with the advantage of the midnight sun!


3 commenti:

  1. Hello hs! Yes possible :-D Please let me know where to meet you. You can write the details to my email, mygreenfinder at hotmail dot com. Thanks.

    Btw, where did you sleep? A proper room with curtains? Hope you did not sleep in an igloo ha ha... that will be so cute ;-) One day I wish I could witness the magnificent Artic for myself :-)

    RispondiElimina
  2. dear steph.indeed i had problems to sleep eventhough we have the dark blinds in the room. it is just the lights throughout the 'night'.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Salam Hs, I thought of you when I went to Sugarflours the other day. I was thinking if you were still in this country. Would love to meet up with you if you are still here. Hope you have a splendid time kat sini. Take care Hs.

    RispondiElimina