lunedì 19 aprile 2010

I fall in love again.....




I fall in love again with Italy... after quite a while of hate and love relationship. I had a chance to take a brief visit to Siena recently. Being in Tuscany region, Siena has a lot to offer. The view of the Tuscany region is very unique and it changes throughout the year. Now, the hills and valley are so 'velvety and silky' with different shades and tones of green. The simple patch of wild grass on the hills adds to its charming panorama. The stone house with lined cypress set a typical scenic view of this region.
From the gastronomical point of view, this region is rich with its specialty and uniqueness. Walking down the main road to the historical center of Siena, my sight and smell senses are at their best. I couldn't resist to walk into the historical pastry shop which is called 'Nannini'.
'Ricciarelli' or almond cookies are their best. You can find ricciarelli in almost every alimentary or pastry shops but at Nannini, they really suit my taste because they do not use any almond flavour ingredients, instead only good quality of almonds and white eggs. Every region in Italy has its own almond cookies but Sienese ricciarelli is one of the bests.
For the cheese lovers, Siena has more than a palate could taste in a day. I have bought 2 different types of goat cheese......eventhough their is smell rather strong, the taste is absolutely divine. For a non cheese lover (like me)... it is also worth a try.
I love paper products and I think you can find a vast selection of handmand beautiful and reasonably priced paper products in Siena. Love to walk into these type of shops which really has a tremendous courage to carry on the tradition despite the availiabilty of mass produced ones.
I think Siena has not been 'carried away' with so much 'mass consumerisim' unlike other cities in Italy. Siena has remain its authenticity as much as possible without falling behind or trapped in its past splendours.



2 commenti:

  1. Italy has that effect on people I reckon. You love it one second and you dislike it the next. I can't put my finger on the why though. But after reading your post, I think I fall in the love category now.

    RispondiElimina
  2. hi wiz.... this love and hate relationship really 'surreal'. thanks for dropping by.

    RispondiElimina