mercoledì 20 gennaio 2010

Frost

sicilian broccoli

cauliflower

When I woke up this morning, in the freezing cold....the whole area of my place is whitely covered with frost. Frost is rather a tricky issue as it is quite damaging to the plants, vegetables, shrubs etc. Most of the time, I would be able to know when the frost is coming. If it is a clear sky (sometime right after the sunset)... I will immediately rush to cover my kitchen garden with the fleece. However, since we have a fair share of bad weather this season, I have nothing to cover as all my vegetables are gone except my broccoli siciliani, red cabbages, puntarelle (a family of chickory) and a few winter salads.
I love to observe and take note on which vegetables survive each time so I will be able to organize better the following season. I have realised so far that if we are hit hard by frost, most of the salads will be gone (even covered by the fleece), but curly endives, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, tuscan kale and peas will survive. These vegetables are really 'the star'!



2 commenti:

  1. They really are the star! Here, I could only see them in farms at the highlands. Nevertheless, it is good to know that broccoli and cauliflower are hardy.

    RispondiElimina
  2. hi steph

    yes, brasiccas family are indeed hardy and they are really worth planting

    RispondiElimina