domenica 17 gennaio 2010

Trevignano Daffodils





Trevignano daffodil




I think it was almost 5 years ago when I went to Trevignano,a small town by the Lake Bracciano for an afternoon walk when I saw these clumps of daffodils. However, these daffodils were almost in the water! It was really early spring but the air was quite warm and the smell from these daffodils was so sweet and irresistable! I have never seen any wild daffodils with such a pleasant perfume. It is quite difficult to describe the smell, however it is like a mix of vanilla and 'old fashion roses'.
I managed to pull them out from the water and put them in my herbs beds and I waited year after year for it to flower but it always failed to bloom. However, early last December I saw a small bloom coming out in between the leaves. It has been for 5 years of waiting and with a flick of time the plant has established itself from the water to the ground! Now, eventhough the flower is not fully opened yet, the sweet smell is so enthralling and captivating! The Nature has taught me not to rush because every single thing has its own time to grow and live!

4 commenti:

  1. My only acquaintance with this flower is from the poem below. I never knew for quite sometime how daffodils look like, but I fell in love with the flower by just reading the poem.


    Daffodils


    I wandered lonely as a cloud
    That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
    When all at once I saw a crowd,
    A host, of golden daffodils;
    Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
    Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

    Continuous as the stars that shine
    And twinkle on the milky way,
    They stretched in never-ending line
    Along the margin of a bay:
    Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
    Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

    The waves beside them danced; but they
    Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
    A poet could not but be gay,
    In such a jocund company:
    I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
    What wealth the show to me had brought:

    For oft, when on my couch I lie
    In vacant or in pensive mood,
    They flash upon that inward eye
    Which is the bliss of solitude;
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils.

    William wordsworth

    RispondiElimina
  2. What a reward! I am glad that you didn't give up and let nature takes its course. Beautiful flower.

    Have a wonderful day!

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi Bam,
    'Trevignano' sounds like "Trengganu"

    RispondiElimina
  4. hi wiz... you are brilliant with words too and i love the poem.

    dear steph, gardening while following the rhythm of Nature is far more enriching rather than going against it, right?

    nek lang, As much as I love trengganu, trevignano is such a blissful and tranquil place too.

    RispondiElimina