venerdì 22 gennaio 2010

Prunning

The worst nightmare has come.....I have to start prunning all my roses and other plants too. Once, I read in the leading gardening magazine which stated that we should not worry when it comes to prunning.That simple act of cutting is like giving a haircut not a headcut. Well, I am not sure about that!
One of my beloved roses suffered quite a lot last season and half of the plant died so did the yellow climbing roses. Last 2 years the light purple lilac didn't flower that much as I wrongly prunned them. The list goes on and on...
So, I braved myself yesterday to start all over again starting with white climbing roses in my kitchen garden because this rose is very hardy and can stand any extreme cutting. It was really windy yesterday as the siberian wind started to blow from the northeast and after spending almost 3 hours outside, I have managed to prune almost all roses in that area and I do hope that I did not give them any headcuts this year!

4 commenti:

  1. Dear HS. Glad to have found ur blog thru my cousin's Wiz. Am temporarily residing in Germany and I have to ensure the plants at the house I'm renting survive. The landlord has recently ticked me for not taking good care of her plants and siap cakap I kena ganti kalau any of her plants mati. Problem is my fingers tersangat la tidak green. Am wondering if u can help me out here especially the rose bush that we have in front of the house yg menjadi pride n joy the landlord. Can I start prunning now and if yes which part yg kena diprunekan? Thanks ya...

    RispondiElimina
  2. dear r. thanks for dropping by. well, which part of germany are you?the temperature here in rome is considered 'temperate' as compared to the german weather, so i think you better wait until well past february. if you prune your roses earlier..and when the frosts comes... the new shoots from the ones that you have pruned might be damaged. so, the best thing is to see if there are new shoots (small new leaves), then you can start prunning. the question is how to cut... the is tricky because it is quite difficult to explain because basically there are 3 or 4 types of roses and i have to know which one is yours..if you have the time.. do write to hs_sulaiman@hotmail.com

    RispondiElimina
  3. Dear HS. Thanks for the prompt response. I'm in Hannover, somewhere north. Temperature has been hovering arnd -10 degrees lately. Since you've kindly given me ur email add, I'll take a photo of the rose bush petang nanti when I get back from the office and email it to u and we can proceed from there. Any chance you're coming to Hannover? Then boleh lepak my house and tengok2xkan my pokok..heh..heh... Wiz says you're so good wth ur plants. Thank u so much HS. Regards, Rifina.

    RispondiElimina
  4. dear R... what a beautiful name and so particular! Hannover.. I think it is a 'happenning city' right now and i know that are building the new philharmonic building right at the river!Look fwd to receiving the photos and i will try to help you.... I am not good with plants, I am just curious abt them.

    RispondiElimina