venerdì 15 gennaio 2010

Winter sweet

winter sweet


Eventhough the rain has finally stopped, the cold is here to stay. The day is getting a bit longer day by day and I managed to do some clipping and pruning of roses and lavanders. My climbing roses on the main house pillars were badly needed some 'radical' pruning and eventhough I had to climb on chair, the task was done in less than an hour.
This climbing rose is a classic thornless with huge clusters white flowers and it never fails to flower twice a year and rarely needs attention! It needs only some trimming and clipping. As growing roses can give a bit of headache (they really need a lot of attention and love), this white thornless is really a champion.
There is another flower that needs to mention this winter and it is called 'winter sweet' or 'chimonantus praecox'. As the name suggests, this light yellow flower is so 'diorissimo' as one of my friends nicely described its lovely sweet perfume and it can really brighten up your cold and wet winter. I have cut the whole branch and put it in my bathroom and it really wakes my feminine senses everytime I walk in.




2 commenti:

  1. Nice blog. Thanks for the info. I have grown chimonantus praecox in my own garden this season. It was nice going through your blog. Iflorist.co.uk

    RispondiElimina
  2. hi beth! thanks for dropping by and i'm glad that you have grown chimonantus too, it is seldom known to many of us and yet this flower is so sweet as the name suggests too!

    RispondiElimina